Outdoor teaching as an alternative to Emergency Remote Teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 5, Issue 2, June 2022, pp. 129-132
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 1043 DOWNLOADS: 746 Publication date: 15 Jun 2022
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 1043 DOWNLOADS: 746 Publication date: 15 Jun 2022
The recent and still ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the vulnerability of an education system built around in-door teaching. Worldwide, schools closed down to reduce the spread of the virus and where it was possible students and teachers were forced to switch to Emergency Remote Teaching (ERT), described as “a temporary shift of instructional delivery to an alternate delivery mode due to crisis circumstances” (Hodges et al., 2020).
Myhre, T. S., & Dewaele, J.-M. (2022). Outdoor teaching as an alternative to Emergency Remote Teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic. The European Educational Researcher, 5(2), 129-132. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.524
- Beames, S., & Ross, H. (2010). Journeys outside the classroom. Journal of Adventure Education & Outdoor Learning, 10(2), 95-109. doi:10.1080/14729679.2010.505708
- Bølling, M., Otte, C. R., Elsborg, P., Nielsen, G., & Bentsen, P. (2018). The association between education outside the classroom and students’ school motivation: Results from a one-school-year quasi-experiment. International Journal of Educational Research, 89, 22-35. doi:10.1016/j.ijer.2018.03.004
- Dettweiler, U., Becker, C., Auestad, B. H., Simon, P., & Kirsch, P. (2017). Stress in school. Some empirical hints on the circadian cortisol rhythm of children in outdoor and indoor classes. International journal of environmental research and public health, 14(5). doi:10.3390/ijerph14050475
- Dewaele, J.-M., Albakistani, A., & Kamal Ahmed, I. (2022). Levels of Foreign Language Enjoyment, Anxiety and Boredom in Emergency Remote Teaching and in in-person classes. Unpublished paper.
- Dewaele, J.-M., Kamal Ahmed, I., & Albakistani, A. (2022). Is flow possible in the Emergency Remote Teaching foreign language classroom? Unpublished paper.
- Dewey, J. (1902/1974). The child and the curriculum. In R. D. Archambault (Ed.), John Dewey on education (pp. 339-358). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. (The chapter was originally published as a pamphlet in 1902.).
- Dewey, J. (1916/1966). Democracy and education: An introduction to the philosophy of education. New York: The Free Press. (Original work published 1916.).
- Dewey, J. (1966). Democracy and education : an introduction to the philosophy of education. New York: The Macmillan Company / The Free Press.
- Dewey, J., & Dewey, E. (1915). Schools of to-morrow. London: Dent & Sons.
- Engzell, P., Frey, A., & Verhagen, M. D. (2021). Learning loss due to school closures during the COVID-19 pandemic. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 118(17), 1. doi:10.1073/pnas.2022376118
- Fiskum, T. A., & Jacobsen, K. (2012a). Individual differences and possible effects from outdoor education: Long time and short time benefits. World Journal of Education, 2(4). doi:10.5430/wje.v2n4p20
- Fiskum, T. A., & Jacobsen, K. (2012b). Relation between the school environment and the children's behaviour. The Open Education Journal, 5(1), 39-51.
- Fiskum, T. A., & Jacobsen, K. (2015). Children with reading disabilities and outdoor education. International Education Research, 3(4), 1-15.
- Fraschini, N., & Tao, Y. (2021). Emotions in online language learning: exploratory findings from an ab initio Korean course. Journal of multilingual and multicultural development, 1-19. doi:10.1080/01434632.2021.1968875
- Fägerstam, E., & Blom, J. (2013). Learning biology and mathematics outdoors: Effects and attitudes in a Swedish high school context. Journal of Adventure Education & Outdoor Learning, 13(1), 56-75. doi:10.1080/14729679.2011.647432
- Fägerstam, E., & Samuelsson, J. (2014). Learning arithmetic outdoors in junior high school - influence on performance and self-regulating skills. Education 3-13, 42(4), 419-431. doi:10.1080/03004279.2012.713374
- Gustafsson, P. E., Szczepanski, A., Nelson, N., & Gustafsson, P. A. (2012). Effects of an outdoor education intervention on the mental health of schoolchildren. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 12(1), 63-79. doi:10.1080/14729679.2010.532994
- Hartmeyer, R., & Mygind, E. (2016). A retrospective study of social relations in a Danish primary school class taught in "udeskole". Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 16(1), 78-89. doi:10.1080/14729679.2015.1086659
- Hodges, C., Moore, S., Lockee, B., Trust, T., & Bond, A. (2020). The difference between emergency remote teaching and online learning. Educause. Retrieved from https://er.educause.edu/articles/2020/3/the-difference-between-emergency-remote-teaching-and-online-learning.
- Jordet, A. N. (1998). Nærmiljøet som klasserom: Uteskole i teori og praksis [The nearby surroundings as classroom: Outdoor education in theory and practice]. Oslo: Cappelen akademisk forl.
- Jordet, A. N. (2010). Klasserommet utenfor: Tilpasset opplæring i et utvidet læringsrom [The classroom outdoors: Adapted education in an extended classroom]. Oslo: Cappelen akademisk.
- Mygind, E. (2007). A comparison between children's physical activity levels at school and learning in an outdoor environment. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 7(2), 161-176. doi:10.1080/14729670701717580
- Mygind, E. (2009). A comparison of childrens' statements about social relations and teaching in the classroom and in the outdoor environment. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 9(2), 151-169. doi:10.1080/14729670902860809
- Mygind, E. (2014). Udeskole - hvad ved vi? [Outdoor education - what do we know?]. Retrieved from http://www.skoven-i-skolen.dk/l%C3%A6ring/udeskole-hvor-st%C3%A5r-forskningen
- Myhre, T. S., Dewaele, J.-M., Fiskum, T. A., & Holand, A. M. (2022). Anxiety and enjoyment among young teenagers learning English as a foreign language outdoors: A mixed-methods study.
- Myhre, T. S., & Fiskum, T. A. (2021). Norwegian teenagers' experiences of developing second language fluency in an outdoor context. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 1-16. doi:10.1080/14729679.2020.1769695
- Quay, J., & Seaman, J. (2013). John Dewey and education outdoors: Making sense of the "educational situation" through more than a century of progressive reforms. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Resnik, P., & Dewaele, J.-M. (2021). Learner Emotions, Autonomy and Trait Emotional Intelligence in 'In-Person' Versus Emergency Remote English Foreign Language Teaching in Europe. Applied Linguistics Review https://doi.org/doi:10.1515applirev-2020-0096
- SanakoBlog. (2022). Retrieved from https://blog.sanako.com/developing-spontaneous-speaking-skills-in-language-learning
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.